Friday, November 27, 2009

Even Though They Call Me Witler.

Today some classmates and I had a talk about Hitler.
And I realized that I am a little more apathetic towards him than many of my peers. Perhaps this is because a large number of my family members were not wiped out during WWII, but perhaps it is because I don't see a point in fighting an argument that finished decades ago. And that is how I see it.

At a pro-life conference (I know, I know, everything I say seems to relate back to this cause, but I promise that I am preaching about something else today) we had one speaker tell us about a man he saw, who had a tattoo of a swastika crossed out on his arm. The speaker's daughter went up to that man and said, "It is so brave of you to make a statement like that. Thank you." Then she and her dad laughed at the man for the stupidity in the obvious statement he was making - Nazism is bad.

I would never deny the absolute horror of the Holocaust, nor would I do anything to try and play it down, I just don't have the energy to fight for something that everyone knows is wrong. At least, most everyone is Western society recognizes that genocide is wrong, prejudice is wrong, totalitarianism is wrong.
Do you know where I would stand up against anti-Semitism? Somewhere where it was an issue.

There is no point to standing up for a cause when everyone is already involved in supporting it. I wouldn't stand up in my school and say "Murder is wrong! We all have to stop killing!", because no one in my school is a murderer... yet. Though I think I know a lot of people who would get tattoos of the word "MURDER" crossed out on their arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment